WorkSafe Codes and Guidance Programme
Code and guidance development requires the following process:
- WorkSafe New Zealand develops a working draft for initial review
- MinEx and WorkSafe establish industry groups for the review of technical content
- WorkSafe finalises a document based on review outcomes
- WorkSafe releases the document for formal industry-wide consultation
- Ministerial approval of document (for an Approved Code of Practice)
- WorkSafe releases document.
These document have been released by WorkSafe New Zealand
- Air Quality in the Extractives Industry (Approved Code of Practice)
- Emergency Preparedness in Mining and Tunnelling Operations (Approved Code of Practice)
- Ground or Strata Instability in Underground Mines and Tunnels (Approved Code of Practice)
- Ventilation (Approved Code of Practice)
- Fire and Explosion (Approved Code of Practice)
- Developing a Ground or Strata Instability Principal Hazard Management Plan (guide)
- Electricity in Underground Mines and tunnels (guide)
- Health and Safety at Opencast Mines, Alluvial Mines and Quarries (guide)
- Managing health risks in the extractives industry (quick guide).
Work on additional codes is underway. This includes:
- Spontaneous Combustion
- Inundation and Inrush
- Worker Health.
The following codes are yet to be scheduled:
- Mechanical Engineering
- Gas Outbursts
- Mine Shafts and Winding Systems
- Roads and Other Vehicle Operating Areas
- Tips, Ponds and Voids.